today is officially diwali (or last night in india, actually). i have good memories of celebrating this holiday in india. when i visited a few times around this holiday...and so it is a good day for me...for it lets me remember my cousins and aunts and uncles an grandfather...as they were,then, where now they are much older, or have passed away. it lets me remember my uncle, my father's youngest brother (of 8 children), who was always so loving and fun and always seemed to be laughing; who now is dead. it reminds me of my grandfather, the nicest man that existed, so sweet and kind, and would always smile when he saw me; who now has also passed away. my cousins, who were young, carefree, running around, or laughing, or joking; who now are mommy and daddies, or are the hardest working students in their schools. my aunts and uncles, who were younger and more spritely, are now grandparents (although, still spritely!). most of alls at how happy my mother and father are being around their families, (and so sad sometimes when they come home, to minnesota, after visiting them and not knowing when they will see them again). i love remembering how happy they were during diwali, surrounded by everyone.

----------------------

i saw bowling for columbine. and it had me laughing and it made me shocked. but, most of all, i felt as if someone understood me and how i think. someone, michael moore, was saying the things, that i wanted to say.



one scene: a dog strapped with a rifle on its back. a little snoopy dog, a beagle, i think. apparently some idiots thought that it would be cute to take a picture of this. but the dog was twisting and turning, and so one of the guys bent down to fix the rifle (or something) and the rifle goes off and shoots the idiot, i mean guy, on the shin. i say the dog did it on purpose!:) and apparently they, the local police department, were going to blame the dog. whatever!



anyway, the movie is wonderful. in between the laughs and jokes, there are clips of instances of war, and stories of gun related deaths. estimates of the world's deaths by gun (last year i think)...the UK - 65, Canada-150 or so, japan-about 100 or so, the US- 11,167 (or so). and the question is-why so many in the US? oh, and they talk about what happened at columbine. the 17 cent bullets, the shooters, and the families of the victims, the community that they were in and the victims themselves. victims, include the two that survived, but have bullets still in their bodies...which leads michael moore to take the victims back to the store that sold the shooters the bullets, to return the bullets to the store.



would i recommend this movie-hell ya!

----------------

i got to see my niece yesterday, i love seeing her, as well as anu and venkatesh. anu is pregnant, so it will be lovely to see her get progressively bigger. and robin's mom visited last week, and it was good to see my mother-in-law.

-----------------

you reap what you sow. "An e-mail from Karen Balderston referring to opponent Swati Dandekar's ethnic background is criticized." (via anil)

Comments

Popular Posts