so i got a message from george, in continuation with a conversation that a bunch of us had about interracial couples and why they come about and specifically an article that saima had on her blog. the message led me to an article. it is a very good article. unfortunately it got me thinking...i suppose normally that would be a good thing...but being a part of an interracial couple myself, it hit some buttons, so to speak...made me reexamine some things about my relationship.



the article was mostly true i think...(i can't ever say anything is ever all true, for some reason)...i do think that robin fell in love with me partly for what i promised him with realizing it, "A Westerner often craves tradition, belonging, close-knit families, and a strong community. " and i appreciated greatly, the idea of what he promised me , "A South Asian may seek more freedom, equality, open communication, and greater sexual expression.", (specifically, the equality part). but i am a westerner myself, whether i like it or not, so...i dont' know...but the idea of freedom, equality, and open com IS very important to me...but don't indian/south asian men allow that...isn't it a different age today than in mom n dad's generation?



and another thing that got me questioning was:"When there are children, one partner may want to have them follow a particular tradition. The other partner does not agree with those tenets". this is something that my younger was afraid of for me, so it definitely touched some nerves .i am spiritual but not religious, and it was always imp that i marry a man that was similar. robin is that way now, but will his family influence him to raise our child (when we have one someday...hopefully soon!) in a christian way. it was cause so many prob's for us. ugh...the thought is too frightening. actually i think that it is probably as likely that my parents would encourage the child to be raised in a hindu way, shaving the head,etc., which robin might go with, but what will his family think?



interracial couples. i chose to be a part of one. not only do we have the normal couple things to deal with, we also have these...



altogether, this article was very good. and i was looking around the site, and it truly has some cool links and stories. thanks george..

Comments

Popular Posts