Me and Friendships

Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival. ~C.S. Lewis

Is it?

I wonder if I am missing something by no longer putting an emphasis in cultivating the friendships that have/had existed in my life. At one time,at one time, I could have said that I had many many friends. I think about my life, and all of the different people that I have called a "friend", not Facebook friends, but real ones. Friends that have seen me cry, laugh, drink too much, yell, fall, disappoint and impress.

Where are they now though? Why have I not called them, written to them, chatted with them, set up a playdate with them? Why have we not kept up with each other's lives, seen each other's children, helped with our marriages, drank down our sorrows or vented our anger?

Why is it that I don't feel as if it is worth my time to keep these relationships in my life, or to bring back the old relationships that have faded?
---
Expect nothing and accept everything and you will never be disappointed. ~ Laurence Overmire

This is in fact something that has troubled me quite often. My expectations are low really, easily met I would imagine, but they still exist. These bloody expectations and lack of acceptance has caused me to slowly (and with some, quite quickly) pull away.

Also, I have my own life, my own challenges, and I think that I feel as if I can handle them on my own. It has been a long long time since I have had a friendship that has benefited me and added to my life in some way.

A friend is the one who comes in when the whole world has gone out. ~Grace Pulpit

Perhaps, I cannot be that friend to someone, I cannot expend the energy needed, so I won't give someone a chance to be that friend to me?

Comments

Popular Posts